Tuesday, June 2, 2009
A Hole In the Side of Africa
I recently visited a village called Msambweni, which is near a famous little place called Shimoni. Shimoni, in the words of Roger Whittaker, is a "hole in the side of Africa," caves which are situated along the southern shore of Kenya in which slave traders kept Africans until they were ready to transport them off the continent. The story is that slave traders captured Africans and entered the caves which begin about five kilometres off from the shore. After leading their captives through a winding, twisting maze underground, the Africans then came out on the edge of the sea. Most were overwhelmed by the sight of so much water and were too afraid to escape back through the maze of caves.
I can only imagine the fear those people felt when they saw the Indian Ocean for the first time, not to mention the fear of being captured and not knowing what is now going to happen to you! David tells us in Psalms 56:3-4, "When I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust, I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?"
It is hard to place our entire trust in God. We cannot see Him, we cannot feel Him (literally!), and we cannot trust that He is there unless we have faith. Faith is knowing that the air we breathe is always there for us on our planet. We cannot see it or touch it, but we know that it is there! Without it, we could not live. God is the same way. Whether some of us like it or not, He is always there, even if you can't see Him. Without Him, we are nothing. With Him, we have everything we could ever want! We can give Him all of our doubts and fears and leave our worries to Him.
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment